Twitter / omnivoremeals

Monday, February 2, 2009

Fishie fishie in the sea

I went to Minar for lunch and for the first time I got the meat combo. I went with the chicken special.

Meal
  • Chicken Makhani
  • Saag paneer
  • Aloo ghobi
Tonight I had sushi with Utah at Hasaki. John Turturro was sitting at the front table, so I knew for sure we were at a good place. We got the shared an eel roll and had chirashi as our main. Utah promised me that chirashi, which is just a bunch of different types of fish with sushi rice, would be the most challenging. Our rice was topped with roe and shredded nori. Miso soup started it all off. The soup was made with red miso, and was very flavorful.



The eel roll was wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber with avocado and cucmber alongside the eel. These rolls were very good, and had been recommended when I first discussed sushi with Dan. The sake Utah ordered was also quite delicious.






The main event was somewhat intimidating. There was a rainbow of fish and octopus.The octopus was the real stumbling block. you can't tell from the picture, but the little suction things were plainy visible. Utah explained to me that they were crunchy. In addition to the octopus there was tuna, yellow tail, white fish, mackrel, a lone shrimp, salmon, and omlette. The salmon was buttery and my favorite. Next was the mackrel. It was the fishiest and also the most interesting. The tuna and yellow tail were both good, but I didn't feel they quite lived up to the hype. The octopus was real weird, and the texture was the strangest yet. Between the crunchy suckers and the oddly uniform flesh, I won't be rushing out to order it again any time soon.

All in all this was an excellent experience, and I thank Utah, my food chaperon. This is a big week. Between my prosciutto sandwich yesteday and chicken today, I have graduated to ordering meat at a restaurant with no reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment