Twitter / omnivoremeals

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saturday Dinner February 21, 2009


I went to the oyster fundraiser for the New Amsterdam Market. However, it was only 7 oysters and whatever other bits of food you were able to scrape up. These included pickled eggs with salt and jalapeno powder, crusty bread made with grain after it had been used to make beer and slathered with butter, the beer the produced the grain for the bread, and baked beans.

This was my first time with oysters, and it was a strong start. They were raw, and I tried some with no condiments, a couple with lemon, and a couple with cocktail sauce. I really didn't care for the cocktail sauce. Just raw was good and had a nautical taste. But I liked them best with a splash of lemon.

However, this was not enough. So on the way home I stopped to get a brisket sandwich at Dumont Burger. It looked like pulled pork to me and was drenched in gravy. I got the fries, not the salad. It was delicious.

I ate at the bar, and got into a conversation with my neighbor. We talked about food, where it comes from, and the Omnivore's Dilemma. I haven't given up on that book, but it's too much like Fastfood Nation. I found both to be far too heavy handed for my tastes.

Later I went to a friend's party. His band was playing, as was my other friend's band. It went LATE, so I made a snack before I went to bad. It was a grilled cheese with roast beef. The cheese was herb-garlic from the milk club. The roast beef was some bougie cold cuts from Sunac. The bread was also from the milk club. It's this impossibly dense sourdough. I slice it extremely thin, but it's delicious. It reminds me of the bread my German roommate from sophmore in college used to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment