Twitter / omnivoremeals

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Squats rule

I had time to step out for lunch today, so I went over to old faithful, Green Symphony.

Meal:
  • Stuffed chicken breast
  • Steamed collard greens
  • Tofu and pea salad
  • Shredded lettuce with avocado and feta
  • Potato samosa
I won't be getting the stuffed chicken breast again. It was heavily and strangely spiced, and it also had a hard exterior from sitting on the hot table. Everything else was reliably solid.

I picked up my new team kit on the way home. I'm riding for CRCA/Rapha, so out kit is tight. Still waiting on the jerseys to be printed, but everything else is awesome. Nice light wool undershirts, classic leather gloves, lots of wool socks and more. My only bummer is that I got the medium arm warmers and they don't fit the guns at all.


Next, it was to work out and make up the squat WOD at Crossfit Brooklyn.

Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps
I went 225-235-240-245-255, and completed a full 5 reps for each lift. I'm fairly certain could have made 260, and maybe even 265. Part way through I changed my technique to be less upright and engage my hams, hips, and glutes more. Although I am tremendously quad dominant because of my years of cycling, the greater muscle recruitment makes for more weight lifted. And my back didn't hurt which was a big plus. I'm not getting any younger, so more than ever injuries are a no-no.


Finally home to cook some of my geen market bounty. I had purchased a Brook trout from my favorite fish monger. We discussed his taste for bourbon. I told him about LeNells, and suggested he swing by on his way out of town. He told me he wouldn't make it out of town if he stopped in.

Meal:
  • Breaded and pan-fried brook trout
  • Raw milk cheddar and jack cheese
  • Green grapes
  • Sauteed broccoli rabe
I liked the rabe quite a bit and will be picking that up again. At the green market I also picked up some smoked but not cured bacon. I was inspired by a conversation today with two co-workers, Theo and Henry. Both had a lot to say about the merits of bacon, and the wide variety available. There are also some shitake mushrooms that I need to eat along with strawberry jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment