Twitter / omnivoremeals

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chin strikes and more pigs

Before working out I decided to stop by
The Brooklyn Kitchen and pick up a butcher knife and steak knives. They only had steak knives that cost a small fortune, so I only got the butcher knife which wasn't exactly cheap. Such is the lot of a meat eater. Next, a meat thermometer.

Today's WOD was Elizabeth.
21-15-9 reps of:
Clean 135 pounds
Ring dips

I scaled the cleans to 115 pounds. I can basically wrench the weight up, but we were doing full squat cleans. By the end it was jump-squat-drop-rest. And don't get me started on ring dips. It was another very hard work out. At least it was hard for me. I really need to get better at the complex lifts and develop my upper body, lose weight, or both. Also, I managed to clock myself in the chin twice with the bar while cleaning. Once in warm-up and once during the WOD. Not awesome.

After working out I stopped by Affinity to catch up with Jason. We talked about racing next year, his future plans, and just how he's doing in general. Which is well. Lacort, Karl and Chris were there training. It was good to see Karl. He is quite a beast to behold and a truly lovely person at the same time. When I got home it was snack time. I was planning to meet Marissa for barbecue, but I wasn't certain about that and was pretty hungry right then. So I had what is rapidly becoming a stand-by, some cheese and grapes. This may be European, and possibly even French. Apparently you can roast grapes. I may have to give that a try to mix it up.

Now, to the barbecue. They were at Fette Sau which is conveniently located close to me. After a brief consultation with Marissa I purchased a selection of pig meat. I got a couple ribs, pulled pork shoulder, and pork belly. For sides, which were as limited as my co-worker Jen had warned, I got sauerkraut and potato salad. The rolls were included and I washed it all down with a sasparilla soda. The ribs were good and the barbecue sauces helpful in making them a little jucier. The potato salad was alright, but could have used a little more kick in the way of salt, vinegar, or both. Same with the sauerkraut. The pork belly was really too much. It was so fatty it was like eating a stick of butter.

The min-sandwiches made with the rolls, pulled pork, and sauerkraut were solid. I would definitely have that again. Same with the ribs. But I will pass on the pork belly and potato salad next time. Those dark spots are little dabs of tasty spice barbecue sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment