Twitter / omnivoremeals

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dinner Wednesday January 7, 2009

Dinner planning began early. After my miss on Monday at the Green Market, I returned to purchase some fresh fish. Max Creek Hatchery was there selling Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout and Smoked Trout. The Smoked Trout was covered, and I just didn't think I was ready for anything smoked. Happily the Book and Rainbow Trout lay side by side, waiting for me to pick one.
Dave Harris, the proprietor clued me in, explaining that the Brook was less fishy and what he preferred. He also informed me that both were members of the salmon family, a fish I had already eaten and would eat again for lunch. But I needed to know how to prepare it. Mr. Harris helpfully described how to pan fry the fish. In closing, he told me to examine a fish's eyes before purchasing it. He said that the should appear to look right back at you. If the fish's eyes are cloudy, don't buy it.

As I turned to my vegetable I ran into Tucker. I hadn't seen her in at least month. We exchanged pleasantries about compost after which she informed me that there weren't any greens to be had. I asked about the Japanese. Apparently there was only the expensive sprout guy. We continued on in opposite directions. Her across 14th Street to Whole Foods, me onward refusing to believe her. She's a smart lady and was right. So I too went to Whole Foods and picked up some broccoli.

Finally, I went to work and put the fish in the pantry refrigerator. I was a little worried someone might see my purchase and freak out. But when I checked at lunch and later when I grabbed them on the way out of the building, all was well. Once home I got down to dinner making.




Meal:
  • Pan-fried brook trout
  • Steamed broccoli
  • Reheated left-over brown rice
It was the fishiest thing yet, but still very mild. Negotiating the bones and look at a head and tail also raised the bar. That said, I'm not easily grossed out. It all felt a bit like a science experiment.

Before:

After:

No comments:

Post a Comment