Twitter / omnivoremeals

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walks, talks

Tonight was the dinner party at Carrie's. We were going to share a duck. Which meant I was going to eat duck. Rosie said that most people don't eat duck, so once I ate beef I would be ahead of most Americans. I consulted a few recipes before heading over, and it was going to be almost 3 hours to cook the bird. So I had a snack of raw milk colby, raw milk cheddar, and grapes.

I swung by Luke's on the way over to Carrie's. He proved to be key to the dinner preparation, as well having a copy of Rambo: First Blood. Overall, a crucial player.

We began food prep rinsing the duck, finishing the stuffing, chopping the potatoes, peeling the shallots, chopping the Brussel sprouts, making the garlic rub, and pouring the boiling water over the duck to tighten the skin. And tighten it it did as we watched. It was a little creepy.

We rubbed the bird, stuffed the bird, added the potatoes, shallots, and Brussel sprouts and tossed it all in the oven. Then we went to the liquor store to get wine, put on Rambo and waited. After hours of cooking with some flipping of the bird, it was ready. And it looked pretty great. Luke described how to carve the bird, but I only made it through one side of the breast and one drum stick. He finished it up.





Dinner was served. It was duck with a garlic rub roasted with potatoes, shallots, and Brussle sprouts, stuffing, salad, and red wine.

Duck was yet another step up. It's such a fatty bird with even more texture. The meat had more variety throughout. I was told that it's much stronger than chicken, and I suppose it is. But I'm still finding that the texture is the most notable aspect.

In closing, duck isn't bred the same way as chicken, and you really need to get into it to get all the meat off the bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment