Twitter / omnivoremeals

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturdays are looking like food day

Breakfast was the Classic 2. Eggs bread, and hummus. It had been a while, and I enjoyed the tart garlicky hummus. I also don't miss the OJ. I will probably have it sometimes so as not to waste it, but it is very sweet. That sounds a bit odd, but I have eliminated most sugar from my diet. I'm not a totalitarian, but I am fairly conscious of when I am electing to have a cookie or some other sweet. I am also no longer taking my multivitamin. Anyone want my extras?

Meal:
  • 2 eggs fried in butter
  • Onion flatbread
  • Hummus
  • Fresh-ground stove-top espresso with raw milk
  • Water

The Williamsburg green market has been worse and worse every week, and the Union Square one seems to be getting better during the week, so I went to the green market at Union Square.

This was a good idea, as it was packed with vendors. Not much in the way of fresh fruit or vegetables aside from some apples and root vegetables, but there were tons of meat and poultry stands as well as a larger fish vendor than my friendly Wednesday guy. I stocked up on Empire apples, black fish, scallops, a whole pheasant, fingerlings, shallots, Jerusalem artichokes, and a head of red cabbage for a change of pace. I saw duck eggs and talked to the vendor, but decided this was not the week for them.


Behold the cornucopia. I planned to make the scallops tonight, and cook the fingerlings and shallots with the pheasant on Monday with Araby. I'll probably make the black fish tomorrow, possibly with the Jersualem artichokes. The apples will just be snacks. Happily, unlike the apples I bought on Wednesday, these were still quite firm.

I think Saturdays will require a regular visit to the green market. I'll try to get there early so I can do the 11AM Crossfit at the Manhattan location.

No comments:

Post a Comment