Twitter / omnivoremeals

Friday, January 16, 2009

Fried chicken, American Style

This was a surprisingly grueling week at work. Surprising because there was little actual work, and lots of meetings. I wasn't ready for dinner when I got home, but I did need a snack before I went to get my hair trimmed. So I had a little hummus, some grapes and a glass of wine.


I was still pretty beat after Ken's birthday, so I cancelled on Jack. We were supposed to finish working out the riff from when we played last week and come up with at least one other.

On the way home from getting my hair cut, I tried to determine what I wanted to eat. John had got very upset with me when he learned I had eaten fried chicken without first consulting him. John is from North Caroline and know fried chicken in I way I cannot imagine. When I pressed him, all he could tell me was that American style, not Korean, was the way to go and that Jimmy's Diner was the best fried chicken in the neighborhood. It was onthe way home from my hair cut, I didn't feel like having fish again, and I wasn't prepared to make the turkey. That pretty much settled it, and I got the fired chicken plate to go. It came with a few pieces of meat and mashed potatoes with gravy. I picked up a Rogue Deadguy Ale to wash it down. I was obsessed with the band Deadguy a few years back, at the same time I was obsessed with a girl from Austin. She knew that, and the first time I visited her, she had a sixpack of this waiting for me in her refrigerator.

Later, my brother came by and we caught up over some Hudson Whiskey. I was introduced to this whiskey at a cheese and whiskey tasting I went to with an ex led by LeNell. It was as excellent as I remembered. I had more than a few sips this time, and I savored its sweet flavor. The ingredients were so fresh it seemed I could taste the corn. The corn tasted like the stuff my uncle's roommate Jay would take me to steal during the summer when I was thirteen years old and my family lived with him. Jay would come home drunk and take me out to pick corn in fields near the house, and offer me marijuana when we returned. The Four Grain Bourbon really took me back. It also made me a little drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment