Twitter / omnivoremeals

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dinner Saturday January 10, 2009


While this ended up not being the first chicken I ate, it is the first time I prepared and ate chicken. I are chicken on Tuesday, and prepared it in high school when I worked in restaurants. The chicken is free range and from Country Meadows Farm, an Amish farm.

The vegetable was asparagus, and we made a quinoa curry too. I picked up some wine on the way over. It was a pinot noir as recommended by Google, with a screw top and a bike on the label. Triple bonus.

The final product was very attractive.

Moment of truth.

Yes, chicken IS the tofu of meats. It's denser still than fish, and seems to shred more than it flakes. Chicken has a different grain than fish. Next step, turkey.

At some point I will visit butchers, a farm and maybe even hunt. But until then I can rest easy knowing that I've caught fish and a few Thanksgivings ago I hosted a dinner. My co-host wasn't a vegetarian, and I felt we should serve turkey. However the local live poultry place was out, so we selected the largest chicken still available. It was killed for us, and I rinsed it. The body was still warm. So I figure the next steps won't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment